Friday, May 8, 2009

Manlove Origins, Part 1 - The Patriarch

My paternal grandmother‘s maiden name was Manlove. Twelve generations ago a guy named Mark Manlove got off a boat in America. I know only a few facts about Mark Manlove, enough to draw the sketchiest outline of his life. He was born in the English county of Shropshire in the vicinity of the villages of Wem and Aston around 1620. He married Hannah Williams, also of Shropshire, in 1637. I don’t know what he looked like, how he made a living, or when and why he came to America.

I hadn’t planned to put much time on the Manlove patriarch in America, but got obsessed with the family - a bit of an irony as Mark, Hannah and family have been dead and forgotten for more than three hundred years. The obsession started when I discovered Mark Manlove’s Last Will and Testament on a USGenWeb site. That web site gave names to his children, his son-in-laws, witnesses, etc. I had scanned hundreds of “Public Family Trees” in Ancestry.com trying to make sense of conflicting entries, but his Last Will made it possible to hazard some educated guesses.

I think Mark and Hannah probably arrived in the Chesapeake Bay area in about 1650. There is some evidence the family landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts, and spent some time in Stamford, Connecticut, before moving on to the lower Eastern Shore of present day Northampton County, Virginia (#1 on map).
The couple had eight or nine children - five sons and four daughters, but two of the daughters may be the same person. Their first child, John, was born in England, as were several others. The public trees differed as to where the children were born, most favored England on the older ones, but the youngest two were likely born in America. It seems possible that Mark and Hannah, along with their several children, left England in the late 1640’s to sail for the New World. I’ve always thought that immigrants in those days were single men, either adventurers or indentured poor. Mark Manlove must have been a man of some means to be able to bring his family over.

The English Civil War was raging through the 1640’s. Shropshire seems to have been a mix of loyalties between Royalist and Parliamentarians, but Wem/Aston favored the latter. The Royalists lost the war, and King Charles I lost his head in 1649. I can’t help to wonder if Mark Manlove’s migration to America was related to the Civil War. Was he a Royalist? I notice many of his associates on the Eastern Shore were also from Shropshire. Did they come over in the same boat? Why so many in one place?

Mark’s wife, Hannah, died in 1658 in Northampton County, Virginia. Most public trees put her age at 28 years, but she might have been as old as 37 - too young at either age. Mark Manlove remarried the year after Hannah’s death. His new wife, Elizabeth Roberts (also from Shropshire), had two sons and a daughter by him.


Somerset County, Maryland was opened for settlement in 1661 and Mark Manlove moved near Pocomoke (#2 on map), but died five years later at 46 years. Mark left the “new” house and five hundred acres to Elizabeth and her three children, and an unspecified amount to his three youngest sons by Hannah.

Elizabeth remarried a few months later to William Greene, who happened to be the witness to Mark’s Last Will and Testament. Many of Mark’s 11 (or 12) children lived their lives around Pocomoke, but two of them, Thomas and William, moved about 90 miles north into Delaware.

GO TO: The Will of Mark Manlove\
GO TO: Part 2

2 comments:

  1. I do not like to give out info about how to contact me so I will leave this message and try to check back here if I am able to find it . I have some ancesters that I have been researching that seem to go back to the Manlove line possibly. My Great Grandmothers name was Mary Anderson her husband was Silas Logsdon. her father was William Anderson his wife was Lucy Osburn, his mother was named Mary Clifton her husband was Andrew Anderson. Her father was Daniel Clifton and his wife was Sara Chance. Daniels father was Thomas Clifton. I found a mix up here as it lists a Jamima Manlove as his wife then it lists another Daniel Clifton as the father of Thomas Clifton and his wife is Tabitha Manlove. But when I was doing research it had two two women as sisters and I know that could not have been right. I also found somewhere that there a Jamima married to someone by a different name.but yet I found her on Manlove trees along with the others. I was confused at first about the two Daniels but then realized that the younger one was prob named after his Grandfather. but it would seem that the my Grandmother Mary Anderson was a decendent of the Manloves through Tabitha. So it would be helpful if I could find out more about th is as I see a lot of people with information about the older stuff but they do not go further into later times with the names. My Great Grandfather William Anderson was born in Ohio in 1832 in Chilocthe. Lucy was born in Illinos her mother was born in Kentucky. Mary Clifton was born in Kent Deleware in 1806.Daniel Clifton ws born in Kent Deleware in 1778. Thomas was born in Sussex Deleware in 1752. So if I have any of this right pop a message in here and I may try to find it again to see if there is help on this stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i knew if these people are for sure related to me think theyare from what i have found so far just need to make sure of the Tabitha Manlove connection to my great great granparents andrew anderson and mary clifton who would have been the daughter of daniel clifton and sara chance his father was thomas clifton who was married to tabitha manlove. will have to check in here again altho it doesnt look like anyone is doing any research in here anymore,

    ReplyDelete