Friday, March 4, 2011

1874 Letter From Obadiah Moon to Charles & Julia Bailey

Direct your letters to Ridgeway P.O., Winona Co. Minn
From Oladiah and Magga Moon to their brother and Sister Charles and Julia Ann Jacobs

June the 16, 1874
April the 5, 18__

Dear Brother And Sister. I take My Pen in hand to weight A few lines to you to let you know that we air well and hope these few lines will find you well. We was at father Baleys last winter in December. They was all well Except father Baley. he was not very stout. father Baley often talked about Old KY though it seamed as though they would not leave old MO. father would say some times he had allmost A notion to go back to old KY. I would tell him if he would that I would go with them. I could not keep them in A notion long Enough to start though. Father says KY is A far better Place than MO. he would talk about the good times he had in KY. And then to see the hard times he has in MO. it would bring the tears in a childs Eye. I would not live in MO. I have bin in Ohio, Indiana, Illenois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Mosouria and Mosoura is the worst of all.

Well Magga says if you will send all of your likenesses to us that we will send ours to you. I have A nice looking crop this spring. Magga says tell her all of your childrens names. We have 2 girls, Mary Etta is the oldest. She was 3 years last January. Rebeckey Ela is 14 months old. If you will git all of your likenesses And send them to us I will go And git ours and send to you.

I have 18 Achors of wheat, 4 and 1/2 of corn, 1 and 1/2 of oats And A nice lot of Potatoes And sutch. We Milk 2 cows. One will give A wooden Pail near full at night. Maga sends A lock of the Childrens hair. the black is the oldest ones. the...

RETURN TO: Bailey Migration, Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment