Friday, January 21, 2011

Moose Hunting in Alaska, 1972 Day 3, Part 2

Dan flopped down on the rocky slope, not bothering to take his pack off, still looking at the moose which had rolled halfway down the mountain. I dropped my pack, took out the water bottle and handed it to him. He took a sip and handed it back.

“I sure didn’t mean for that to happen”, he said. “He was balanced on the edge, and I figured I could shift him around so he would be easier to gut. It didn’t look that steep, but he started rolling and I wasn’t about to try and stop him”.
“Yeah. You’d be down there with him. How much hamburger do you thing we got?”

“Hell. He’s probably got every bone in his body smashed. Did you see him bounce just after he went in that ravine? He must have flew ten feet in the air.”

“No, he was out of sight by then. I bet he rolled five minutes; I didn’t think he was going to stop.”

“Well, at least we don’t have to tote what’s left off this mountain.”

“What happened to you?” Dan asked. “You hardly moved after we separated”.

“I hadn’t covered more than a hundred yards when the cow got up. She stood the whole time looking down the mountain in my direction. If I’d been another hundred yards to the right I could have gone on around. I finally laid down and enjoyed the view.”

“I’m beat. I went all the way to the backside of the peak. Its even steeper there. I got to within a few feet of the top and decided they weren’t there and circled back. Wish I’d gone over; it would have saved me a lot of trouble.”

“I saw you making your way back to this side, angling up toward the cow. She turned your way, and I’d swore you could have seen each other.”

“I didn’t see either one until the bull stood up.”

“That was some time later.”

"They were further away than I thought; my first shots hit in the rocks way below him. I finally aimed a couple feet over his back - shooting up hill makes a big difference.”

“Where’d you hit him?”

Dan hesitated a moment. “Gut Shot.”

“Oh!” I said, smiling. “It doesn’t matter anyway - not now.”

“No”, Dan said as he stood. “But we’d better get down there and check him out.”
GO TO: Day 3, Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment